Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shopping Adventures in Athems

Good afternoon! We are taking a break from the heat for awhile. Today is the hottest day so far, in the high 90's. Our trip to Nafplio was cancelled, which was OK because it gave us a chance to sleep in and go shopping. After a leisurely breakfast at a cafe near our apartment, we headed to the stores. There is a fun, touristy area called Plaka which we walk through to get to the clothing stores. Several areas in Athens are paved (?) in marble. This always amazes me. It is gorgeous and unbelievable to be walking in large areas of marble. Other areas are covered with cobblestone. It's all very charming. So we thoroughly enjoyed our walk. Eric is a good sport and was very helpful trying to find clothes for me. Now, this is not me being self-conscious or overly sensitive about clothing sizes. They truly don't fit. Eric very sweetly said this is due to the fact that I'm taller than the average European. Honestly, I think Americans are more curvy. Anyway, we went to two stores that I thought might work: H&M (which we have in the US) and Sprider, which we had seen advertised on the side of a bus. I did find a couple of things (yeah!) and Eric was very cute. I would come out of the dressing room to ask him if something looked OK and he'd either say, "I like it - it looks good" or "Ehhhhh- that's not so flattering." It was like having a personal shopper, which was great! And he found a shirt that he really liked for himself.
So here's the funny part- I was all set to write about something clever that I figured it out, and I see that my dad already wrote about it in the comments suggestion. Great minds think alike, huh Dad?! Well my great discovery was mens athletic shorts (with an elastic waistband) fit great, and a black pair with a nice shirt look dressy. (yeah!) So I'm thinking of a concept for a new show for the Travel Channel: What to Wear When Your Luggage Gets Lost. They can take real people, in countries all over the world, and show them how to shop for clothes that would work best for them in that country. I'm thinking back to Japan and how petite all theclothes were. Thank goodness I didn't lose my luggage there! Anyway, we continue to call the airport and they continue to not know anything about my luggage. But I have some other clothes now, so I feel much better. For now, we are taking a break and then planning to visit some more ruins. We'll try to add some pictures to our next post. It really is beautiful and amazing here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids,
Have a fabulous day! We would love to be with you!
LOVE, MOM

Anonymous said...

Kids,

Have a fabulous day! We would love to be with you!

LOVE, MOM

Anonymous said...

Dads aren't so stoopid after all. :-)

xoxoxo-D