Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Eric's thoughts from Athens

Despite plane delays, rerouting through Amsterdam, a five hour lay over, and lost luggage, I am really enjoying myself here in Athens. Now that maybe the clean underwear talking (my bag has arrived but as you know Jenny's hasn't), but I think it is more likely that the energy of this amazing city is infectious. In the States, they call New York the city that never sleeps. Well, Athens has that same kind of feel. The Greeks have a love for life, food, and entertainment that you can't help but appreciate (even though many Greeks may not exactly have a love for work).

Initially, I must admit that I didn't immediately warm up to the city (no pun intended...yes it is brutally hot) the way I warmed up to other European cities, but after wandering up to the Acropolis and watching the sunset over Athens and wandering the streets until well after 10:00 pm and seeing no signs of the locals slowing their revelry, it is starting to become apparent why people all over the world fall in love with this city.

I also am happy to see that my best friend Jenny, despite moments of frustration over her lost luggage, is also warming up to the energy that is present in this city. I was pleased to see that smile that I love so much several times on the aforementioned night excursion around the city. I know that as our trip continues I will see her wondeful smile many more times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pics or it didn't happen!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, Jen, let's see that smile! :-)
(and when you go shopping... get some new underwear... it may make all the difference (according to Eric))
XOXOXOXOX

Jenn Erickson said...

Does it still seem like there are more cars than there are people there?

Give me love to JB!