Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Hi from Switzerland


We are on a cheesey hotel computer, with another foreign keyboard, and no way to upload pictures. We saw an internet cafe, but it was literally swarming with hundreds of bees. So we'll try to do our best to update you, but forgive any typos, grammatical mistakes, or short hand.

First, I have to say that traveling by Eurail is amazing! So much better than flying! We were on the train for 5 hours, and it felt like a vacation. Comfy seats that reclined, a bar to rest your feet on, and lots of space. I slept for a couple of hours, Eric too.

The first things we noticed was that as soon as we passed the French/Swiss border, the architecture immediately changed and became very distinctly Swiss (think Heidi or Swiss Miss Chocolate and you'll picture what I mean.) And the landscape became even more amazing - everywhere green, hillsides full of cows, huge huge lakes, it was breathtaking!

We arrived to our destination of Bern, the capital of Swiz. and it was crazy busy - bustling with people and tons of construction everywhere. I think they are retrofitting buildings, or something. But when you look passed all of the mess, it is an incredible, indescribable city. Old world style architecture, statues and murals everywhere, flags everywhere, colors like you wouldn't believe! We were awestruck as we walked through the town. Oh - tons and tons and tons of shops- like clothing boutiques, and upscale type shopping.

We walked to the end of town and came to the bear pit, which is literally a pit with 2 live bears in it. They are so cute and beg for food (you can tell that they are well fed.) We ended up watching them for about 30 minutes. Bern is (German?) for Bear, and the town is named for the bear because that is the first animal that the duke who found the town hunted and killed. (I guess it is a good thing that the first animal wasn^t a turkey or something). The bear pits have been here since the 1400's, though the bears aren't quite that old.

From the bear pits, we walked along the Aare River - so amazing and beautiful - a bright tourquoise color. Along our walk we stumbled across the most amazing free zoo. It wasn't listed in the guidebook (shame on R.S. - I'll have to e mail him.) We couldnt believe that it was free. We walked around for hours.

I have to end this now - others waiting for computer. I'll try to write more later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure it wasn't the Aaargh! River? :)

I've always wanted to take a nice train trip... I think it is an interesting way to see the country. One of these days....

Anonymous said...

Oh... sigh... now I want to go to Switzerland! I suppose Dad will fix some hot chocolate and say something like "...see, it's just like being in Switzerland..."

The train trip sounds wonderful... I knew you would enjoy it and I can just picture the scenery from your descriptions.

Sis, read your email. I sent you some information from Lillian who used to work with me and ran on your relay team for the Big Sur Marathon. I'm sure you remember her. At any rate, she's living in Italy now.

Hope you find some food to your liking...

LOVE, MOM

Kristin said...

No wonder I have been ordering hot cocoa everywhere I go for the past week!

Mike said...

I loved traveling via rail in Europe too. Whenever we went anywhere outside the town we were stationed in it was by train. It was just as you described and an amazing way to see so much that can be missed when flying, or even driving on the highway! Switzerland sounds amazing!

BTW... What was the name of your hotel in Paris?