Thursday, June 7, 2007

Eric's Thoughts from Switzerland (der zwei)


Well, another amazing day here in Switzerland. The feeding of the bears was quite possibly the highlight of my day. The bears proved quite entertaining with their begging behaviors for the food. Jenny quoted me in her blog about it being the best 3 Swiss Francs that I ever spent. Well, it was. I highly recommend if you are ever in the Bern area that you stop to feed the bears.

The other amazing thing I did today was defy death. Well that might be a little dramatic, but I went swimming in the Aare today, and there are all these warning signs that tell you that it is dangerous to swim in the river, and that only experienced swimmers should do it. Well, the current is really strong, and there is a dam down river so if you don't make the last exit, it would probably lead to you getting sucked under and drowning, but I did not feel that I was ever in any real danger. The biggest obstacle that I had to overcome was the cold. The water temperture was 15° C (which is 59° F). But after my third trip down the river the water felt almost bareable. : ) Grabbing the exit rails from the river was only a little tricky because you are moving so fast and they tended to be wet and slippery, but after a few trips I got better at this as well. I think my experiences in the Grand Canyon helped prepare me for both the cold and the current. Anyway, this was another experience that I highly recommend. (I know, I know, you are all thinking I am nuts, but it really was fun).

The final experience worth sharing was the meal we had tonight. We ate at an Italian restaurant (yes I know we are in Switzerland), but the food looked really good, and after Jenny's aversion to the first Swiss meal we had, we thought this would be a better alternative. I ordered a seafood pizza (don't knock it until you try it). Not only was this the best meal that I have had while in Europe. It was the best pizza I have had period. I am looking forward to the food in Italy even more.

Well, I am done for now. Take care everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knock Knock!!!!

Do you hear it?? that's the squid making its way back up :-)

Guess you must have numbed more than thought..UCK!!!!!! next you'll be telling us how you got a loaf of french bread and wiped down the underside of a pier or something... :-)... as an appetizer

Do you think I really don't like seafood all that much?? :-)

Guess you've talked me out of Switzerland now (I know mom will read this :-).

xoxox-D

Anonymous said...

ERIC! NO MORE DEATH DEFYING ACTS!

LOVE, MOM

Anonymous said...

WE LOVE reading your BLOG!!! Jenny, sounds like you've met your match in making each and every vacation a memorable one! As well as someone who can write a good story just like you! We love that you and Eric found eachother. Your adventures bring our non-traveling life some traveling excitement! I liked your comments about eating at delis ... that's what my dad taught us to do on every trip ... go around the block from the main stream of tourists and you'll find something yummy and 1/2 the price! Remember to eat your fruit! =)Have you had fondue yet???
xoxo Carla et al