Friday, June 22, 2007

New Haircuts and an Afternoon at the Vatican


Well, it's our last night in Rome. We've really enjoyed our time here, this is a great city. We had a very relaxing morning - slept in and then went to get our hair cut. I said all along that I was going to get it chopped off on this trip, and Eric's was getting kind of thick and unruly, so we decided that Rome seemed like a good place to get our hair done.




There was a great place a few doors down from our hotel. We were the first customers there (which was a good thing, because quite a crowd of locals came throughout the time we were being worked on.) Our stylist was Robert, who spoke pretty good English, and took excellent care of us. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I think this is the best haircut I've ever gotten (Funny - I used to say that about the cut I got in Japan. I think I will just have to get 5 other jobs so that I can afford to fly to a foreign country every few months to get my hair done. Just Kidding!!!!)




Robert treated us like celebrities. I don't know if that's because we are foreigners, or because that's how he always is. He and his team of washers, dryers and stylists worked on us for a couple of hours. We were getting worried about all of the special treatment, but it ended up being surprisingly inexpensive, and they wouldn't accept a tip. One lady spent about 20 minutes blow drying and styling my hair after it had been cut, and then Robert returned (from cutting Eric's hair) to touch up my hair. Crazy, but fun. Of course, neither of us will ever be able to recreate the style. So we'll see how it looks once we're back in the Texas humidity. Notice how Eric got a "Euro-punk" haircut. It looks like a subtle mohawk in the making. (He didn't ask for that style, he just let Robert do whatever). Well, once he took a shower, that look seemed to disappear, and it's looking more normal now. Mine is crazy and sticking out all over the place. But it's fun.




Now, I have to laugh. Here I am going on and on about our hair, and Eric is typing about the Vatican. That should give you an indication of what my highlight of the day was. :-)




Ah, the Vatican Museum. What can I say? We stood in line in the blazing hot sun (Roma Pass doesn't work here), and battled our way through throngs of rude, rude, rude people. I find it very ironic that this is supposed to be the pinnacle of Catholicism, yet most people are anything but Christian.




I didn't even enjoy the museum because there were so many rude, obnoxious, oblivious people. The only time we didn't have to deal with people was when we took the hallway to the Egyptian wing, instead of following the signs to the Sistine Chapel. There were hardly any tourists in this section, and so it was enjoyable. The bad part was that it looped us back to a hot, crowded part of the museum we had already struggled through.




The other challenge of the Vatican Museum is that you have to go through all of the exhibits to get to the Sistine Chapel, which meant rooms and rooms of creepy modern Christian art, which I did not like. I would have completely skipped this disturbing section, except you are forced to walk through it.




And then you FINALLY get to the Sistine Chapel (and I'm not exaggerating - this is 4 miles later. Yes, I meant to say 4 miles.) I guess I was expecting an actual chapel, with pews to sit in and contemplate the artwork. But it is just a big room. The most horrible part were all the stupid, rude, ignorant people (can you tell I had a bad time??) There are signs EVERYWHERE saying no photography at all, of any kind - no videos, etc. And there are signs EVERYWHERE that say to be silent. There are even guards in the room, shushing the crowds and getting after people who are taking pictures. And I'm not even talking about slyly taking pictures they had their flashes going off! How stupid! The whole point of no photography is so that the artwork will last for generations to come. I just can't believe how selfish people are. And NOISY too! I just couldn't appreciate the beauty, because I was so upset by the lack of manners. The one thing I can say, is that I found it absolutely amazing and unbelievable that Michaelangelo completed this work in only 4 years. It looks like it could have taken a lifetime.




From the Sistine Chapel, we worked our way into St. Peter's Basillica. This was a little better, because there was room for people to spread out, but I was still outraged by the complete rudeness of the crowds. Michaelangelos's Pieta statue, of Mary craddling Jesus' body moved me tears, because it was so beautiful. And Eric and I did find a quiet moment to pray in a side chapel, where guards are standing to make sure no one takes pictures, and that people respect the prayerful atmosphere. But even then, one guy shoved his way past the guards to start taking pictures. I just couldn't believe it. People are pigs. Maybe I expect too much, but isn't it just common decency to show reverence and quiet? Even at regular art museums and the zoo, I've always insisted that my students remain quiet so that everyone can enjoy what is going on. Ugh! It was just an all around frustrating experience.




But, Eric and I returned, worn out and exhausted, for a siesta. We felt better afterwards and had a nice dinner out at our favorite little romantic spot. Eric commented that we shouldn't have gone to the museum, just to St. Peter's, and I agree. I do not recommend that museum at all. It is not worth it. Get a book of the Sistine Chapel, or find pictures on line. It will probably be a much more enjoyable experience. Or become rich and famous and try to arrange a private tour.




So, other than typical tourist drama, it was a good day. We are looking forward to heading to Sorrento tomorrow (about an hour south of Naples.) I am so grateful that Eric decided to take Rick Steve's advice and stay in Sorrento instead of Naples. We've learned that all of the landfills in Naples are closed because they are full, and so no garbage is being collected at all (and we hear that it is very very stinky.) So we may skip Naples all together.




I hope everyone is doing well. Ciao!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan and I love reading your blog. The sad thing is that I went right over to see the pictures of your new haircuts before the Vatican pictures. I love your new hair Jenny...OMG it reminds me of the time back in college.
Safe travels to you both.
Love, Hal and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Sis,

I was showing Mykayla the photos and when we came to one of you with your new, beautiful hair style, Mykayla said "That's Snow White!"

:-)

xoxoxoxox MOM (and Mykayla)

Anonymous said...

Rome does seem a lot more crowded than the other cities you have visited so I can understand the frustration with sight seeing. But I'm so glad that you took the time to visit the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel. And to EXPERIENCE all these great places, the art everywhere, to stand in St. Peter's Square... sigh...

LOVE, MOM

Unknown said...

Gee, and people say Americans are rude. Or was it mostly American tourists? Speaking of aliens, guess what we have coming to our house in January!

LL,
Kes