Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Another Amazing Day (Eric)

This day started with breakfast at a rather unique establishment called the 5 Point Cafe. To give you an idea of what I mean by "unique", it is open 24 hours and says, "alcoholics serving alcoholics" on their menu. Having said that, the salmon Benedict I ordered was surprisingly good. Jenny also enjoyed her "hangover with friends" (i.e. eggs, bacon, hash browns, and toast).

Next, and I need to preface this next story with a story I was not planning on telling because it makes us sound like we are living "la vida loco". As we were waiting for our flight to Seattle, I received an email from the ferry company we were going to take to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island that our ferry was canceled. We found out later that the ferry had caught fire. This was a serious problem because we already booked and prepaid our hotel and kayak trip. So we decided we had to find another way to get to Friday Harbor. Our options were limited and we ended up picking a flight with Kenmore air. We suspected this was going to be a small flight when they asked the exact weight of our luggage and our actual personal weight. The plane was in fact the smallest plane I have ever been on. It could hold exactly 9 passengers and the pilot (the 9th seat would be next to the pilot). Needless to say it was an amazing experience with views of the Washington coastline that took my breath away. Yes, it is true that small planes do feel the bumps more as Jenny's tight grip on my hand reminded me periodically, but the pictures and memory more than compensated for my crushed fingers. : )

Friday Harbor itself is amazing. We went to a state park to watch for orcas from the shore. While we did not see any at the park, it was a beautiful park, and we enjoyed walking along the coastline, and we did see several seals and porpoises.


Now, I mentioned we did not see orcas at the park, but on the bus ride back I was watching the ocean and saw a pod of orcas surface. The bus driver stopped for us and all of us watched in amazement as this pod swam past a few hundred yards from the shore. It was a magical moment. (We could not get a picture in time, but I thought this picture might capture the moment a fraction.

Tomorrow, we will be going on a kayak trip to try to see these majestic creatures from the water. We will try to get some good pictures to post.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow, Erik "jumps the shark"...oooohhh yeahhhhh!! :-)

xoxoxo-d