Sunday, June 23, 2013

Catching Up (Jenny)

Taking a break from our adventures to do some much-needed laundry. This gives me an opportunity to blog about the last few days....

Last day in Friday Harbor, finally found those orcas!






I know these pics are ridiculously small, but I was using a cell-phone camera. Regular camera kept focusing on lady's hair in front of me. I spent most of the time just enjoying the experience and not worrying about pics. The best part was watching a mama orca and her one-year old. She would slap the water with her tail when she wanted her baby to come.

Back to Seattle for our "Amazing Race training session". The weather was so nice, we decided to walk the one mile to the train station, instead of taking a cab, up a very steep hill. With 40+ pounds of luggage. This would have been ok, except I was in a turtleneck sweater (from the ferry ride) and overheated to the point of having to dig through my suit case for a t-shirt and change right on the street! After much grumbling on my part, and laughing on Eric's, we made it to the train station and ultimately to our hotel. Total trip time from the waterfront to the hotel, 3 hours. I think we would have been eliminated from the show.

Next, we were off for a tour of K and B farms where we sampled off-the-vine blueberries and learned the intricacies of battling birds, insects, and mold while growing fruit.




Proprietors Kevin and Bryce, love these guys!

From K and B, we took a long drive to Northwest Trek Wildlife Park:








We saw lots of great wildlife!

We finally made it to Portland, and this was our introduction to the city:



Also enjoyed some fabulous donuts:


Today we had breakfast with friends Tiffani, Guillermo and their family, and then went off on our own for a little hiking in the rain:



Gorging on the Columbia River Gorge.
Including gratuitous waterfall shots:


And magical foresty areas



While these experiences and sites have been incredible and amazing beyond words, by far, the best part has been time with friends!



We loved our time with Bryce, Kevin and Kevin's mom. How wonderful it is to reconnect after 20+ years!


And my dear friend, Tiffani and her beautiful family! I actually cried when we left this morning, because I hadn't realized just how much I miss you! So thankful we've been friends all these years! Love you guys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To quote, "Parting is such sweet sorrow..."

xoxoxo-D