Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Eric's Thoughts from Serranto (part three)


Yesterday was an amazing day. We went to the island of Capri. It gets a little crowded, but it is beautiful place. Another place that I would recommend if you are planning a trip to Italy. We took a boat ride around the island that was simply amazing. I don't think that I would ever tire of looking at the rugged coastline and the color of the water. I don't know if any of the pictures will do the color of the water justice, but I will post some anyway. The other cool experience we had on the boat ride was a stop at the Blue Grotto, which is a marine cave. I must warn anyone who comes here that you must be prepared to wait to get in the Grotto. There is a line of boats and people anxious to get a peek inside the cave. For me at least, the wait was worth it. The blue water with the light streaming in from the cave entrance was breathtaking. My one complaint was that I would've like to have spend more time in the cave, but as there is a huge crowd outside, you are very limited in the amount of time you can spend in there. I think that I would like to go back someday and swim into the cave, which you can only do after 6:00 p.m.


The other really cool thing that happened on the boat ride was that we met some really cool people. The first was a girl who just graduated from College and was backpacking her way across Europe for eight weeks. The other three were two Italian brothers, currently living in Canada, and the girlfriend of one of the brothers. We ate lunch with them, and it was really fun hanging out with people who speak the language. I always finding meeting people while traveling to be part of the fun of traveling. After all, I met my wife (for two of the best years of my life now) while traveling. Anyway, after lunch Jenny and I headed back to Sorrento and ran into the Italian brothers and the girlfriend again, so we made plans to get dinner together. They were so much fun to hang out with. When they found out that our second anniversary was on the 27th, they treated us to dinner. I thought that was way too generous, but I have found it is very difficult to argue with Italians. Plus, I get the impression these two brothers are doing well for themselves. They own a hairstyling salon in Winnipeg. I am sure that Jenny will add more about the experience, so I will keep it brief, but I must say that yesterday was one of the coolest days on this trip so far.


Well, that is all for now. We are doing laundry at the moment, but then we are going to go enjoy our anniversary. Take care everyone.

No comments: