Sunday, June 16, 2019

Day 20: Budapest (Eric)

Day 20: June 16th, 2019. This is the view as I am writing this post. 



I should just leave it at that because I’m having a difficult time putting into words my thoughts and feelings regarding Budapest. I seem to be having that feeling a lot recently. Must be a sign of an amazing trip, but I think the most amazing part of it all is that I get to share it with my best friend and the love of my life. Jenny said to me the other day that she loves seeing these experiences through my eyes, and I couldn’t have said it better. Watching her face take joy in the little things adds as much to the journey as the beautiful surroundings. I truly love being able to share all of this with my soulmate. 

We had a two and a half hour train ride from Vienna to Budapest where we had an interesting conversation with a German man from Düsseldorf about travel, politics, and the world in general. At about the halfway point in the trip, we were joined by a Hungarian family whose youngest boy was quite the handful. He initially was trying to eat our croissants, and then the mother gave him some bread which he accidentally dropped on the floor. The mom threw the bread away, but the child kept trying to get it out of the trash. Jenny helped settle him down by sharing some of her croissant. 



After this fascinating train ride (which apparently was bound for Transilvania). We arrived in Budapest a little after 2:00 pm and had the adventure of figuring out another subway system’s ticket machine which is always fun. The ticket machine did not seem to like American bank cards, but luckily we already had some Hungarian money we ordered before coming here. 

Anyway, after a short subway ride, we had an 8 minute walk to our hotel. This was where the wow started as we somehow scored an upgrade to a room on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the Danube River and the Hungarian Parliament Building that you see pictured above. It is breathtaking and awe-inspiring, and we are both feeling blessed to have so many amazing experiences. 

This post is getting a little longer and more emotional than I intended, so I will attempt to wrap it up quickly. After checking in, we walked up the hill to the historic Buda Castle area. We had an amazing dinner at 21 Hungarian Kitchen (thanks to our friend Lisa’s recommendation), and then we simply wandered the streets talking in the sights and sounds of this vibrant city. It truly is a remarkable place. I’ll finish with some pictures with captions. 

Fisherman’s Bastion and Matthias Church











Random Flexible Girl Doing a Photo Shoot



A Hungarian Choir Singing in a Park (this was surreal)



The Love of My Life





Random Shots from around Castle Hill

















Shots from our Walk Down Castle Hill and along the Danube









More Views from our Balcony












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eric & Jenny - THANKS FOR YOUR CALL & FACE TIME TODAY. So many of your photos brought back memories of our trip with some of the same photos.

So Happy that you are sharing these memories as George & I have shared so many together.

FYI - Finalized trip with Mark & Family -- 50-year Anniversary of first time in Japan. Love, Mom/Fran