Friday, June 15, 2012

I Heart Zagreb (by Jenny)

I have been trying to think of different adjectives to try to describe how great and fun Zagreb is, and the only thing I can come up with is that I simply love this city! I am so grateful for all of the incredible travel experiences I've had in my life, and this is another amazing adventure.

What I love most about Zagreb is that it seems to be the prefect combination of everything I love about other cities I've visited; it has the cafe culture and promenades of Athens, the old architecture of Paris, it's compact, easy to get around, and it's surrounded by mountains.  (English is fluently spoken, which is an added bonus).  There are lots of people milling about, so it feels safe, but not so many people that it feels crowded.  There are lots of trees and parks, so even though it's hot, the temperature in the shade is quite nice.

We've enjoyed a great day of exploring the city.   There are many beautiful cathedrals and churches.  We visited the home and art studio of sculptor Mestrovic, which was really interesting.  He was a contemporary of Rodin's, and had even sculpted a few pieces of Rodin.  We enjoyed relaxing under a cafe umbrella when the sun was a bit too intense, and we strolled through the botanical gardens.  We're at an internet cafe now, and Eric is trying to figure out how to get to a restaurant that he read about for dinner.  Unfortunately, we cannot upload pictures at the moment, but hope to be able to do that soon. 

I would highly recommend a visit to Zagreb to anyone who is thinking of visiting Croatia.  It's not expensive.  We've rented an apartment in the center of the city and are finding prices for food and drinks to be very reasonable (although soda is still more expensive than wine!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis,
I would LOVE to be there with you... it sounds peaceful and beautiful. What a great way to end the school year!
LOVE, MOM

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a lovely city. There is simply nothing better than traveling the world. Keep writing. i love the blog. Love, Sharron

AlexC said...

I like the sound of a place where wine is cheaper than soda! Glad you're having fun. We were so glad you could see us in England! - Alex & Melissa