Friday, June 22, 2007

Eric's Thoughts from Rome (Day 3)


Our time in Rome is coming to a close. It is a little bitter sweet. I am sad to be leaving this wonderful city, but I am glad to moving back to the coast in Serranto.


We started the morning with a low-key and fun experience. Jenny and I both got our hair cut. It was fun trying to communicate with the stylist, and it was definitely an experience much different from getting my haircut in the U.S. Jenny and I are both happy with our cuts although Jenny jokes that I look like a Euro-punk with my new haircut.


The afternoon was interesting. I use the adjective interesting because I am still on the fence about whether I would recommend the experiences of today to other visitors of Rome. We spent the afternoon at the Vatican. The line getting into the Vatican Museum was actually not too bad. We were only in line for twenty minutes or so, but once you are inside the museum it seems like one long perpetual line from one end of the museum to the other ending with the Sistine Chapel. The sights and artwork present in this museum are amazing, but there are many times where the heat and the crowds can get to be a little overwhelming. The Sistine Chapel was a beautiful room with the famous artwork that you see pictured everywhere, but there are so many people in there that it is difficult to truly enjoy the experience. Once we got to St. Peter's Basillica, which is huge, the crowd did not seem to be as oppressive. The church is an amazing structure. I would recommend a visit to the church to anybody who visits Rome. I will post some pictures of the church in a separate post.


Anyway, I am going to sign off for now. I hope everyone is well. I will be writing from Serranto next. Take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eric,

You look GREAT! Mykayla wants to know why the Lion King is eating the horse...

Another fabulous and memory-packed day!

It's such fun to travel along with you both!

LOVE, MOM